Amy and Mitch’s Second Anniversary Mead Update

IMG_5091I haven’t updated on this batch since way back in March. And for good reason, it has just been sitting in the basement. Waiting. Well, we finally made some adjustments this week.

First, on Tuesday (11/18), I added some Campden Tablets to kill whatever yeast might have been left after all these months. There is over six gallons of this stuff the carboy is filled right to the top, so I added seven tablets.
IMG_5090
On that same day, we bought another six pound bag of frozen strawberries from Costco. When we got home, we stuck it in the fridge to thaw. Then, on Wednesday, I brought the carboy of mead up from the basement warm up a bit, too.

Then, on Thursday, we dumped the new bag of strawberries into my eight gallon bucket fermenter and racked the mead on top of them. The idea is to back sweeten with the fruit and hopefully pick up some fresher berry aroma. I’m not sure if this is standard practice or not, but in my head at least, it seems to make a lot of sense.

From here, the plan is to give the mead about two weeks on the berries, then rack it off to a carboy and hit it with some clearing agent. Once it has cleared, the time it will take will depend on what clearing agent we go with, we can finally bottle. Once the mead is in the bottles, it will have to wait until our anniversary on December 30, when we’ll open the first bottle, maybe while mixing up our Third Anniversary mead. Check back around that time for details on that mead and tasting notes on this one.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s