This is not good. It tastes soapy. The hops are not detectable. The malt is hidden in the shadows. It tastes bad. Really bad. It is a similar off flavor to the one in this year’s batch of Amy Ni-Kölsch, only it is much, much worse in this beer.
I thought initially that this was a result of oxidation, but I don’t think that is the case because I don’t know how that could have gotten this bad. The only thing I can think of this point is that it is caused by some sort of residue from a cleaning agent on the carboy. This is when I really wish that I labeled by carboys so I could tell if this and the Kölsch were in the same one and I wish I took records of how I cleaned each carboy.
I have, in the past, used all kinds of different cleaning agents, but this batch, which I was very excited about when I brewed it a few months ago and knew was going to be terrible by the end of primary fermentation finally got me to just commit to using PBW and Star San for everything. The next step, which I haven’t taken yet, is going to be labeling each of my carboys and recording which ones each batch are fermented and aged in. If something like this happens in the future, I want to know which carboy needs to be inspected.
After this batch, I cleaned all of my empty carboys again, with a round of each PBW and Star San. I haven’t had an issue since, but I need to stay on top of this.
There is not much else to say about the beer. It smells fairly neutral, but as soon as it makes its way into the mouth, it becomes a very bad experience. I have a lot of beer left, but it is going down the drain. I have never dumped a full batch after bottling before, but I’m seriously considering it with this one.